| Bread for Shannon |
The recipe is from the "More with Less" cookbook. I changed it slightly as noted below.
Honey Whole Wheat Bread
Mix together: 3 cups whole wheat flour 1/2 cup non fat dry milk 1 Tbsp salt 2pkg dry yeast (or 2 Tbsp)
Heat in a saucepan until warm: 3 cups water 1/2 cup honey 2 Tbsp oil
Pour warm (not hot) liquid over flour mixture and mix for 3minutes. Stir in:
1 cup whole wheat flour 4-4 1/2 cups white flour
Knead 5 minutes using additional flour if necessary. Place is greased bowl, turn, let rise till doubles (40 min or so). Punch down, divide dough in half and form loaves. Place in greased bread pans. Cover and let rise 40-45 minutes. Bake at 375F for 40-45 minutes.
Adjustments:
I used molasses in place of honey. I also had no powdered milk so I skipped that and used 1 1/2 cups milk and 1 1/2 cups water instead of all water. I also think I only used 3 - 3 1/2 cups white flour at the end - I guess it just depends with bread. I'm not a pro, but it sure looked like it didn't need more flour and ended up turning out great. My mom says an important thing about bread is kneading it for the exact amount of time the recipe says - so I do that and things turn out fine. I thought heating the liquids in a saucepan would be a hassle but it didn't take long at all and was fine.
The only problem with homemade bread is it sure disappears faster than storebought - I think I could finish a loaf by myself by the end of today. I will use self-control and not do that, but I'd like to!
Thanks already to those who've commented on my growing belly - I just love it, and am glad to get to show it to you! |
|
| 2 Comments: |
-
thank you! I'll have to give it a shot soon and report back. And yes, homemade bread does seem to finish up much faster. Especially with lots of butter. mmmm
-
hey aimee... be sure to read my Wed Jan 25 blog... I think you'll enjoy it ;) ;) LM
|
| |
|
|
|
|
|
|
thank you! I'll have to give it a shot soon and report back. And yes, homemade bread does seem to finish up much faster. Especially with lots of butter. mmmm