vendredi, janvier 06, 2006
Super-Commenters
Wow. Commenting sure increases blog motivation. Okay, now I'll try to respond to all those - or atleast some of them.

Heidi, whether or not you ever announce you are having twins, your blog is still a riot to read (I think the success of this last entry was that I shared my housekeeping follies and my wacky dream) Also, thanks for the soapy sinkful idea.

Marsha and Shannon - thanks for the c-section comments they were encouraging. The doctor I'm seeing right now (who I'll only see till 20 wks) said it was 90% sure that I'd have a c-section. This was very disappointing to me as - like Marsha, I'd been looking forward to a "drug free natural birth". I'd read that the positions of the babies determines what they'll do and asked the doctor about that. He just said that c-section was the best way to go - seemed like regardless of positioning - I got the impression that it was more convenient for everyone - and thus better. Anyways, I didn't push the issue with him but plan to get more info from my future doctor who isn't a GP, but an OBGYN - who I'll see around 20 wks or so. I've been reminded by two friends, in addition to Marsha, that really the most important thing is getting those babies out healthy. Amen to that. I'm just not looking forward to the possibility of looking after newborn twins following abdominal surgery. But at this point I'm still fairly uneducated and uninformed about this all - I'll keep you posted.

Fraternal/Identical - Katelyn asked this question on the Abarbalog and I answered in the comments, here's what I said:

Hi Katelyn, Thanks again for the hearty congratulations. I have been learning a lot about twins lately because I certainly have a reason to. Karen is right about a shared placenta indicating identical twins -- but identical twins can also have their own placentas. Whether or not they end up sharing a placenta depends on when the egg divides and becomes two embryos. The earlier the division, the more likely they are to have their own placentas. Fraternal twins don't share a placenta but can sometimes look like they do -- this happens when the placentas attach quite near each other in the uterus. This can lead people to expect identical twins when they are actually fraternal. Our twins each have their own placenta - so they could be either. The ultrasound lady gave us the impression they were fraternal and the radiologist gave us the impression they were identical so I'll guess we'll wait and see. Sometimes even after twins are born the only way to tell what type they are is to have DNA testing. Identical twins, due to conditions in the womb, do not always look alike. A sure indicator of fraternal twins is having one of each sex. Another piece of info I learned is that when twins share a placenta more complications can arise such as something called "twin to twin transference" where the twins don't get equal amounts of what they need and one suffers because of that. I'm grateful ours each have their own.

So there you have it, from my very recently (as in this week) acquired knowledge. Anyone more educated may feel free to add/correct.

a very excited mom to be,
Aimee


We just got back from our one night retreat with the students. It went very well and I was extremely proud of Lance for planning and leading the bulk of it. He arranged for a speaker to come (Ted Hill, local pastor) and speak about worship - I napped through the inconveniently schedule sessions - 10 - 12:30, that's nap time - but did catch the evening one - very good. Lance led a teambuilding session, as well as a discussion time on how to make second semester great. I can't sum it up, but as I was sitting there I realized I was beaming with pride. He is such a gifted communicator - he was saying things that people needed to hear, in a clear, interesting, understandable, gentle, funny way. Yup, very proud.

We're glad to be home - that kind of event can be tiring. It was the perfect length.

Oh, and since I always have something to say about food : I made curried chicken the other night and it turned out great. I froze the leftovers and look forward to the time and energy they'll save me in the future. Also, inspired by Marsha's smoothie comment, I made an extra big smoothie and froze part in a little nalgene water bottle. I took it out the next morning and by lunch when I was famished I had something to give me energy while I made ... Kraft Dinner.

Links - I'm adding two new links. I'm adding Lisa-Maries blog - relatively new Hummingbird reader, with a brand new blog. As well as Shannon's blog. I'm not sure why I don't add links to all the blogs I read (maybe I'd be embarassed by the length of the list - and perhaps I like my odd little routine of linking to some through others). But anyways, I realized that many of you readers might never track down Shannon's blog by the link on Kristal's blog - and Shannon's blog is definitely worth the read.

I think that's all for now. I'm off to do some dishes!

Aimee
posted by Aimee at 6:26 p.m. -
4 Comments:
  • At 11:47 p.m., Anonymous Anonyme said…

    I don't link anyone on my blog because I too am embarrassed about who's blog I read (I'm pretty sure some people don't even know who I am) and the amount of blogs I read. It's a good thing I'm a fast reader or else it would take WAY to long out of my day to read them all.

     
  • At 12:55 a.m., Blogger kortney said…

    I made a new blog...just thought I'd let you know :)
    (click the link!!!)

     
  • At 5:56 a.m., Blogger Lisa-Marie said…

    Thanks Aimee!! I just wanted to be able to have people actually respond to my stuff ;) (whether it's interesting or not)... but I don't have good ideas as to what topics I should talk about....
    anyways I'm thinking about calling you sometime next week... let me know if it's conviniece or not
    Lisa-Marie

     
  • At 6:32 a.m., Anonymous Anonyme said…

    Yes, a sink of soapy water WOULD be a good idea in theory. I end up with two chairs and two little children playing in my water- one going "ARR, sunken treasure" and the other going "yo ho ho I like bubbles". It is amusing but slightly frustrating at the same time :O)

    Aimee, I have a midwife appointment today. My midwife is the homebirth type and I know she has delivered a few set of twins over the years. Of course in Canada a private midwife can be costly when you compare the fact that regular healthcare is free. I'll ask if she has any suggested reading for you in all things natural/healthy for pregnancy and beyond. I don't envy an automatic c-section but there are three heartbeats and bloodpressures to consider so I can see how an enviroment with more control is ideal. Especially if your babies are born early and may need neonatal care. ~Shannon

     
Publier un commentaire
here i am
Name: Aimee
Home: Canada
About Me:
more...

previously on hummingbird
Archives
place to go people to see
living on less & liking it more
  • Frugal Hacks
  • Like Merchant Ships
  • Smart Canucks
  • Deweys Treehouse



  •