| Busyness and Babies |
Thanks folks for all your comments and well wishing about our babies - and welcome newly identified readers. (Heather I read your blog too, just was a little shy)
Details regarding my pregnancy.
Were we trying? Lance likes to use the phrase, we'd "pulled the goalie". So not trying but not preventing.
How have I been feeling? Much to my (and other's) surprise I have not been sick. Many women often suspect they are having twins because they are so sick. Both my mom and sister had some morning sickness and I was expecting it but it never came. At the start I was a teeny bit queasy but this was easily alleviated by food. Smells have driven me crazy. I often step out our door and recoil at the hideous smells wafting up from the cafeteria (for those of you who don't know, we live in an apartment in a dorm building which is connected to the cafeteria building). The thing is, usually those awful smelling foods taste great. Just don't breathe through my nose.
Currently I feel quite tired and need to nap once - or maybe twice- a day. My record is three naps in one day.
Why the early ultrasound? This was to confirm the due date. It sure told us more than that!
I am growing - not that most people can tell. But Lance and I can (mom too and some close friends). It's funny because right now I am excited to grow - I guess it shows that something is going on. I have always loved how pregnant women look (see Kristal's blog as well as my mom's blog for lovely pregnant friends/relatives pics) so I'm excited to be one. I can just hear all the moms groaning and saying, "When you get big you'll wish you were back at this stage, instead of being so huge and uncomfortable and aching". I bet that's right. But for right now I'll stay excited.
FOOD. Yesterday I had a little melt down. I know I need to eat more than I do. My metabolism has always been fast, and now with two babies using the energy and nutrients I get from food I run out way quicker than I expect to. The meltdown related to being hungry and having a super messy kitchen and no good ideas for food. I ended up eating some crackers and peanut butter (with pickles on top - no joke - but this is not a pregnancy wierd food, this is an Odegard household fave) and then calling mom and dad and sharing my woes with them. By that time my blood sugar was elevated back to normal and I was more rational. Mom gave me some good make-ahead-have-on-hand snack ideas. Shopped at Superstore today and loaded up on relatively nutritious food that I feel like eating.
Foods I have enjoyed more than usual during pregancy:
early on - Kraft Dinner - I read the ingredients and they're not as bad as I had assumed.
last week - granny smith apples and mozarella cheese strings
today - Cambells Homestyle Chicken Noodle soup (I never eat canned soup but it sure is handy for when you need something in a couple minutes, enjoyed this tonight with farmer's market carrots and a slice of flax toast buttered - this was "second supper")
McDonalds - Oh dear. Yes. Over these three and a half months the babies have experienced a chicken burger, a Big Mac and McNuggets. People seem surprised to find out that I, someone they view as a very healthy eater, enjoy McDonalds. That's like the lowest of all fast food joints as far as quality food. But for some reason I've always liked their food.
Foods I purchased today and am hoping to still want to eat in the next week are - asparagus, spinach for salad, havarti cheese, 12 grain bagels, yogurt and blueberries for smoothies, and tuna for melts.
If you think of it you could pray for me and eating often and enough food. Thanks.
There is more going on in our lives in addition to growing babies. Here are some random thoughts:
Our tree is up and I love it. We have mishmash of ornaments and brightly colour lights. We cut down the tree a couple weeks ago with Jensens and Friedrichs. It has a wild look to it - not trimmed at all, perfect. Lance said it's our best tree yet. Ahh, I have been emotional lately - the other night we were sitting down to eat supper in the living room and Lance squeezed behind the tree to turn the lights on. Immediate tears came to my eyes. He doesn't care about the lights but turned them on for me. I felt loved and said through tears, "Did you know how much that would mean to me". Nope. :)
Had some good discussions with Lance lately about gift giving and our individual styles. Really good to understand each other more and learn how to work together as a unit.
Lance has been working for his folks. It is the busiest time of the year at their bakery. I was planning on helping too. Maybe one day this week. I am more tired than I expected to be. I don't know how much help I'd be, needing to eat every 2 hours.
Well, maybe that's all for now. Perhaps I can was a few more dishes before hitting the hay. We'll see about that.
Thanks for reading.
Aimee
ps. we got our first book about twins from the library yesterday and have been devouring it and learning all we can. We also borrowed two name books. What a big job to name someone - and we'll get to name two people! Wow. No names are grabbing our attention yet - but we have lots of time. |
|
| 7 Comments: |
-
Aimee - I'm so excited to read this blog as the babies develop. I think pregnant ladies are beautiful with their bellies! I'm just so excited. I'll be praying that you will eat lots and that you stay healthy :) Love Kortney
-
Aimee...I love how Lance calls it "pulled a goalie". SOOO funny! Can you or are you going to find out what you're having? I am so glad you have been feeling well--it is such a blessing and I think it makes for a very joyful pregnant lady!
Love, Kristal =)
-
Lance stole that saying from Steve Schulz, I'll have everyone know. And he stole it from Dan Keeley. "pulled the goalie...grumble grumble...
-
It IS fun to grow. Until you can no longer get up after sitting or in your case when you feel like you might fall forward because all the weight is in the front :O) I am SO GLAD that you arent sick, I wouldnt wish it on anyone. Especially someone as thin as you trying to gain enough weight for two more people. I'll be sure to keep your appetite in my prayers.
There is no shame in sleeping the day away if you have the opportunity.
sooooo, when can I try and convince you to use cloth diapers?? hehehehehehe.
~Shannon
-
hi Aimee - it's so interesting to read these things - I never had morning sickness either, had some similar cravings to you, and also had an early ultrasound. Oh, I am also looking forward to being "bigger" (or looking more pregnant than having overeaten!). The one thing I may suggest is to look into tuna...I was told that canned tuna can have mercury in it, and there's a limited amount we pregnant ones should eat. I may be wrong - that's just what i heard. But thanks for the food ideas in your next entry - i may have to try them! :)
-
RE: tuna - Light tuna has less mercury than white tuna. All seafood has some. I pulled this off the internet (source of all knowledge and truth - ha)The FDA recommends 12 oz. of assorted fish per week. An average sandwich has 2 oz. Tuna (light) is one of the low merc ones. The omega 3's are important.
"Some fish are unhealthy to eat during pregnancy. Avoid swordfish, shark, king mackerel and tile fish. These fish can contain potentially risky levels of mercury. Mercury can be transferred to the growing fetus and cause serious health problems. According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), a pregnant woman can safely eat up to 12 ounces (two average meals) a week of a variety of fish and shellfish that are low in mercury. These include shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock and catfish. But you should eat no more than 6 ounces of canned albacore (white) tuna per week. Canned white tuna has more mercury than canned light tuna.[It lives in warmer water] Also avoid raw fish, especially shellfish such as oysters and clams. If you eat raw fish, you could get an infection that could hurt your baby."
Love, Mom
-
That was fast research, Kathy! Thanks - I'm glad to hear that it's ok in moderation :)
|
| |
|
|
|
|
|
|
Aimee - I'm so excited to read this blog as the babies develop. I think pregnant ladies are beautiful with their bellies! I'm just so excited. I'll be praying that you will eat lots and that you stay healthy :)
Love Kortney