mercredi, mai 07, 2008
This might be a record
Three posts in one day might be a personal record. This'll keep you guessing. I might not blog for two weeks, but maybe I'll blog multiple times in a day.

I just got back from my prenatal appointment and it was hilarious so I had to post about it. My doctor - who I've seen once prior to this appointment - cracks me up. Not because he is particularly funny, but because he seems lost in his own examining room and frustrated navigating his way through the prenatal check-up forms. He also has pretty much no bedside manor. At my first appointment he didn't introduce himself, ask me how I was feeling, congratulate me on my pregnancy... nothing. I had never met him before, and officially - and this after some pretty personal examinations - I still haven't.

So today, everything looked good. He asked if I'd been feeling the baby and I answered that I have for a couple of weeks now. He measured me - I'm measuring spot on, and that's new for me. So we're 19 weeks, by dates, ultrasound and measurement. Next it was time to listen for a heartbeat. He put the gel on the doppler and rubbed it on my belly, "What am I supposed to do with this" he says, commenting about the strange sound it's making. It starts cutting in and out. Then he says the line that is potentially so ridiculously insensitive that I could barely contain my laughter. While rubbing my belly with the machine he says, "Something's wrong with this one, I think it's dying". I couldn't believe he'd said it. Did he realize what a nervous mom could've thought he'd meant. Then, walking out the door to find a new machine, he says, "Yeah, this one's dead". I could hardly get control of my giggles by the time he returned. I have not been worried about this pregnancy at all. Things are going so well and I am confident about it. But what if I was a nervous first time mom with a lot of concerns, what an emotional roller coaster those words would've sent me on! The nurses finally round up a working machine and the little one does indeed have a heartbeat, which I had assumed since it kicks like crazy. We've got another wiggler on our hands.

I'll have one more prenatal appointment in Camrose before we move, then I'll be seeing a midwife in Burnaby. I am sooo excited about the difference in care I will be receiving. I look forward to personal wholistic (sp) care and am quite certain, that even though we've been in touch via email that my midwife Tracy will introduce herself to me when we meet in person. She's already congratulated me about the pregnancy.

Okay better go figure out supper.

Aimee
posted by Aimee at 1:57 p.m. -
7 Comments:
  • At 11:12 p.m., Blogger Kathy said…

    un be lieve a ble!! What a strange story.

     
  • At 1:11 a.m., Blogger Demara said…

    That's hilarious!
    Craziness...
    I know I would have been very concerned...if I didn't know what he meant by his words.

    have you seen the art i've been making at Yokoso? I'd thought you'd appreciate seeing it.

     
  • At 7:53 a.m., Blogger Hammevision said…

    That's so funny and yet so typical Aimee. It's actually sad that some dr's start to see pt's as a number and so then they forget even the commonest of curtesies - introductions before pelvics. Ahhhh, Camrose.

     
  • At 7:53 a.m., Blogger Hammevision said…

    That's so funny and yet so typical Aimee. It's actually sad that some dr's start to see pt's as a number and so then they forget even the commonest of curtesies - introductions before pelvics. Ahhhh, Camrose.

     
  • At 8:54 p.m., Blogger Thirsty said…

    Hi! I came across your blog through Heidi's. Loved this post by the way.
    I was wondering how you found your midwife. See i live in Burnaby and for my second, when that happens, I would like to have a midwife(didn't have a great experience with the doctor i had), but have no idea how to locate one. If you could tell me how you found yours, I'd really appreciate it.
    thanks,
    charlene

     
  • At 9:48 a.m., Blogger heidi said…

    oh my goodness aimee, i'm reading this in the library cuz our internet at home is down and i'm barely able to contain my laughter. tristan is looking at me very concernedly because of the tears running down my face. thanks for that story!

     
  • At 6:34 a.m., Blogger Lisa-Marie said…

    Haha that is a fuuny story, but inconsiderate too... I woulda said something like..."You should consider what you are actually saying..." So you're moving to BC hey? Have you ever met my sister Desirae? (Probably not) Anyways, she lives in Burnaby. So when are you moving?

     
Publier un commentaire
here i am
Name: Aimee
Home: Canada
About Me:
more...

previously on hummingbird
Archives
place to go people to see
living on less & liking it more
  • Frugal Hacks
  • Like Merchant Ships
  • Smart Canucks
  • Deweys Treehouse



  •