| Survey for all Moms |
Trying to be a bit more on the ball. Lance said he'd be more relaxed if we had our "bag" packed -- you the "bag". The one you take to the hospital when "it's time". Of course I've got books that have lists of things you should bring, but I wanted to get feedback from you folks.
So, what do you think should go in my labor bag? What did you find invaluable? Obviously I'm new at this and could use a little help.
Lance and Pete are over at the house drywalling today. I guess there have been some setbacks today. Please pray that work on the house goes well and swiftly this week. This would be a big blessing -- especially for Lance as it weighs on him that the place isn't ready yet and the babies could come really soon.
Went garage saleing yesterday and today. Got a lawnmower. A gas can. A white wire shelf (four shelves, maybe for the laundry room). We also stopped by a couple's place who I met through the twins group -- did I tell you about the twins group? This couple (Brad and Leanne) gave us an infant carseat and leant us a swing. More blessings.
This evening I'm trying to do a combination of packing and tidying. Our place here is so dishevled that we'd really rather not spend any unecessary time here (especially Lance feels this way, the orderliness of his surroundings has more of an effect on him than it does on me). The kitchen looks pretty good. I think the dining room table could use some attention. We'll see how things go.
We're going to Jensen's for a late super - after the boys are done working - so I think I can get a little work done before then. Also trying to remember to rest. It would be so stupid to trigger labor by mopping the floor. I think I'll forego that level of cleaning.
Alright, that's it for now.
Hope you guys are well.
Aimee |
|
| 16 Comments: |
-
I remember bringing way too much stuff. I believe I might have used my sox as after delivery often a girl is shivery. Nighty that works for nursing. Pads - the ones at the hospital were not that great at the time. Toiletries. Babies outfit and blankie for homecoming - unless Dad can bring it later which reduces chances of it getting lost. The most important thing I ever brought to the hospital was newtoys for the older siblings for when they came to visit! Snacks would be good.
Phone numbers of all the friends and relatives - in the bag. I so wanted to make some of my own phone calls - even right from the delivery room - but alas I couldn't figure how to dial out - had to dial 9 first - agh....
Happy Packing.
Love, Mom
-
Aimz,
Well, I don't know a thing about what to put in "the bag" (this is where I'm beginning to become painfully aware that you are embarking on territory that I have no familiarization with, and it makes me feel weird) but I do wish I could be there to mop that floor FOR you and pack while you lay on the couch and we chat. I think of you all the time, and love you as always.
M
-
-socks & slippers (that you can leave at the hospital) -chapstick -gum or breathmints (for hubby.. he may get close while counting and if it's the middle of the night or early morning...) -CAMERA -phone list & everything else your mom mentioned :)
-
so... no c-section for you then? If i's a planned c-section, that would change our answers maybe... -de
-
My bag needed only my husband...I never used anything as much. food always bring food. The rest are all good ideas but clothes for kiddies can go in a bag to be brought the next day by a helper that way there's less to keep track of at the hospital. Good luck!
-
yes... food. food is very important. because you don't want your most important "item" (your hubby!) vanishing to get a snack for himself!!! -de
-
...you don't need a single phsyical thing except yourself and the power inherent within you to give birth...the knowledge that GOD will see you through...that your body was made to do this and so it can and will ...actually I needed my mommy...my hubby was LATE and missed it...well the 1st one anyways ....breathe...(the gas) ...(are you having a planned C-section...it's common with twins) ...cars seats are essential if you want to leave the hospital with your babies of course ...camera if nothing else....there is nothing wrong with the hospital pads diappers and wipes...unless they tell you they won't share...even if you 'forget' your toohtbrush you can buy one when you are there..... .....good luck Aimee....I know you'll do well!....Jennifer
-
Lets see...the items I found important (besides the obvious ones) were: - pillows, lots of extra pillows (with dark cases on them) - you'll enjoy the extra comfort (both during and after labor & delivery) - bra pads (as I found the hard way that collostrom stains) - adult diapers (much more comfortable than the big bulky pads the hospital provides)
Wishing lots of luck, Zandra
-
adult diapers. hehehehe. The midwife tried to send me home in one of those when I had Wesley. If it had been a pull up then maybe but it looked like a huggies made for hippos.
When I assisted my friend in her birth she packed enough stuff to take a month long trip to kenya. During labor all she used was the socks and lip balm. What a pain digging through that stuff and all those secret pockets.
If it were me, I would pack the socks and lip balm. camera/batteries. Change of clothes, nightgown and the basics like toothbrush and deoderant. Whatever I would normally take on an overnight trip with the addition of the infant outfit. You might pack a second bag to leave at the house that contains a few more things just in case you have a c-section and stay longer. You could also make a list of things you might want and set those in easy places and that way if you want you can just look at your list and circle what you want Lance or someone else to get later.
You might also look into and see how the hospital deals with ICU infants. If your babies are already about 5 pounds they probably wont be there (or be there very long!) but just in case see how long you get to stay, pumping milk and such. If you live far from the hospital see if any of your friends live closer and perhaps arrange for yourself or Lance to crash there at night between visits.
Do we get to see a picture of the waiting nursery? Are you getting a baby shower?
-
I was trying to remember if we had cloth or paper diapers. It must have been cloth. The trick to not pinning your baby is to put your hand between the baby and the diaper. No fear. I prefer pins to the velcro baby bum wrapper things. Sarah and I always laugh when I change her - I always get something mixed up. HA. I'm always saying OH OH - Wait! Oh Grandma's got it funny again - I forgot the diaper cover thing. HA HA.
You've gotten lots of great tips. Fun and exciting times ahead - lots of work - but what great work it is!
Love, Mom
-
wow, a hospital with cloth diapers? that would be sweet.
-
Hmmm...I second the chapstick and socks for SURE! I also had breath mints along which were great for before pushing for me AND Shaun. My pillow was wonderful too...
Besides that, I was in my hospital gown the whole time (but was only there 24 hours after birth, so this might be different had I been in there longer!) so just a change of clothes for coming home.
OH, the LOVELY hospital pads. Hmm...down here they give us these disposable panties too. Lovely. Oh, I was SO gorgeous.
Best wishes...we'll be praying for you. What's your due date again???
-
Hmmm. Seems like everyone's got an opinion hey? I say, bring a tent and pitch it. What could they say?
-
Wow. So many helpful tips for you Aimee. As I have never been pregnant before I cannot offer anything quite as useful. I HAVE seen a pregnancy before though. Once. In Bio 20. On a video. It was gross. Like, I think I swore not to have kids for the next three years. Don't think about what it looks like maybe. We also seen a vasectomy on a video. That was gross too. Anyways, I know I haven't congradulated you yet so here it is. Ready? CONGRADULATIONS!!!!! phew. That was a big one. I'll pray for yous guys. love amanda
-
I would think that you need a nursing bra or two. And I personally liked being in my own clothes as soon as possible (you have to wear the hospital gown for a bit though). You will 'look' about 4-5 months pregnant right after the baby is born ... so bring something appropriate for that. Your stomach goes down little by little over 6 weeks. That is MY experience anyway. The woman in bed beside me put on her pre-pregnancy jeans directly after delivering. Those mesh semi-disposable undies are kind of weird feeling. I liked to bring some of my own clean maternity-sized underwear (again, you might have to wear the mesh ones at first). And of course the underwear you bring will get blood all over them and be ruined.
It is strange how the baby books and pre-natal classes kind of overprepare you ... the nurses in labour and delivery know what you need & probably have things around if you need them. One time we brought and used a deck of cards. What I wanted most in labour was cold water to drink & a cold cloth on my forehead. The main thing is to pray for good nursing staff who will anticipate your needs.
-
Hey Aimee, We talked about this on the phone I think, but a comment about the carseat is that the hospital lent us towels to pack around Sarah so she'd be more secure in the seat...so bringing towels or lots of recieving blankets for this purpose would be good. Also, food for both of you would be good. We didn't pack food for Andy - opps and he had to go home the next day to get breakfast or something. We were able to play CDs too, which was nice.
|
| |
|
|
|
|
|
|
I remember bringing way too much stuff. I believe I might have used my sox as after delivery often a girl is shivery. Nighty that works for nursing. Pads - the ones at the hospital were not that great at the time. Toiletries. Babies outfit and blankie for homecoming - unless Dad can bring it later which reduces chances of it getting lost. The most important thing I ever brought to the hospital was newtoys for the older siblings for when they came to visit! Snacks would be good.
Phone numbers of all the friends and relatives - in the bag. I so wanted to make some of my own phone calls - even right from the delivery room - but alas I couldn't figure how to dial out - had to dial 9 first - agh....
Happy Packing.
Love,
Mom