jeudi, octobre 11, 2007
Recipe Madness
I've been meaning to share some recipes with you. Here are some soups I've made recently:

The Original African Peanut Soup (from the Colophon Cafe at Village Books in Bellingham)

Blend in Food Processor:

1 ounce fresh ginger root - scrubbed and chunked
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp crushed chili peppers

Add to processor and chopp, leaving chunky then add to soup pot:

3 1/4 cups canned or fresh diced tomatoes (about 1 large can)
1 3/4 cups dry roasted unsalted peanuts (I used 1 3/4 cups natural peanut butter and it turned out BETTER than when I used the peanuts)
1 med onion chopped

Add to soup pot:

1 1/2 cups chicken (or veg) stock
4 cups canned or freshed diced tomatoes
3 cups water
1/2 lb cooked and cubed turkey or chicken (optional)

Make a paste of:

1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup flour

add as needed to thicken

Simmer.

Delicious with tortilla chips. Lyndon said Doretha (who grew up in Africa) serves this as a sauce over rice - and fruit too, like mango and coconut - that would be great.



Curried Corn and Cheddar Chowder

whip together in soup pot:

1 quart/litre water
6 oz softened cream cheese

Add and heat to a slow boil (I made this soup with Eva falling asleep on my back, when I got to this part she was asleep and I

1 16oz can of creamed corn
4 tsp curry powder
1tsp black pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion

Add and heat to a slow boil

1 1/2 pounds frozen corn kernals
2 stalks chopped celery

Add and reduce to a simmer

Roux (3 Tbsp Flour and 3 Tbsp melted butter)

Stir gently into soup:

1 cup cubed and floured (toss with 2 Tbsp flour) cheddar cheese



As I was cooking these soups I thought of Lovella - link "What matters most" from my mom's blog. She often posts step by step photos of recipes she makes. There is always a lovely inviting mouthwatering photo of the finished product. Well, it's the thought that counts here. Take my word for it, these soups are great and look good too. :)

Nights:

Eva - the last two nights were very good. Please pray about tonight - Lance will be home really late so I'm pretty sure that I will have to help Eva fall back asleep WITHOUT NURSING - this is new to me but I've got to do it so I don't undo Lance's hard work.

Elijah - having a few rough nights.

Okay better go. There are some people who want my attention. Oh, and I can smell one of them. yuck.

hope you are well.

aimee
posted by Aimee at 8:44 a.m. -
2 Comments:
  • At 8:23 p.m., Anonymous Anonyme said…

    Colophon Cafe! Just for that, I'm going to cook some soup.

     
  • At 9:40 p.m., Blogger kortney said…

    I wish that Jordon liked soup so I could make these recipes. I might anyways, just for me...they have things I can eat!!!
    We're praying for you guys, by the way. Maybe I'll get to see you in February, Aimee? I'd like that.

     
Publier un commentaire
here i am
Name: Aimee
Home: Canada
About Me:
more...

previously on hummingbird
Archives
place to go people to see
living on less & liking it more
  • Frugal Hacks
  • Like Merchant Ships
  • Smart Canucks
  • Deweys Treehouse



  •