| Pop's Post |
Hello everyone, Lance here. I’m sure Aimee will provide her own account of how things have been going the last few days, but I thought I should give a few ramblings myself.
Well, it has been surreal. It’s been deeper than my feelers can reach.
On Monday, June 5 we came to St. Mary’s Hospital (a hospital still run by mid-eighteenth century Carmelite nuns – no not really, they'd be super old). Aimee’s water had broke and we were told to come on in when it did (12:44pm – 11/2 cm). By 6:30pm contractions began to be a bit harder to handle (3cm). By 9pm we were cooking with gas (6 cm). We tried lots of things: walking, birthing ball, knock-knock jokes and various other positions I will not describe. Aimee was unreal. She wanted to do the labour drug-free. And she wanted me to support her in that decision, which I tried to do. However, I never totally believed that she could actually do it. Not because I didn’t think she was tough, but because I had heard that giving birth is like pulling your lips over your head and who wouldn’t need at least some minor narcotics to do that? Anyways, by 12am she was 8-9 cm and in the zone. She was a machine and I was in awe. She focused and concentrated and dealt with the pain like an absolute pro. I do not dare to assume that I would do anywhere near as well as she did. Dr. Ward came in (who is the OBGYN in Camrose) and a friend from church. He is extremely respected in the community and the hospital. He has such high levels of integrity, excellence, joy, and competence. By 1am Aimee was 10cm. At 1:44am, June 6th, ELIJAH MATS ODEGARD (6 pounds 7 ounces) came into the world grey, screaming and very much alive. As far as father-commentary goes I will say this: I think birth is one of the most earthy and sublime experiences. It’s where our humanity and God’s divinity seem to crash – and it is so beautiful and holy and, well... Even after seeing a few birth shows on TLC and hearing about it from other dads, I was totally unprepared for meeting Elijah. Elijah was born and so was my much needed larger heart. And there was much rejoicing. The nurses and doctors said things like, “He’s perfect” and “Congratulations!” and “What a beautiful boy!” and I knew they were right. We waited for the contractions to begin for baby number 2. We waited 1/2 hour and still nothing. Once Elijah left the womb baby number 2 decided to go transverse (sideways). Dr. Ward told us that it was time for a C-section. It was strange to go from an amazing natural birth with everyone in the room cheering to the OR with everyone rushing. Now there were 4 doctors and maybe twice as many nurses milling about. Time was of the essence which meant that Aimee had to go under general anesthetic. This also meant that I couldn’t be in the OR, which was initially quite disappointing. I sat in the waiting room until I remembered that I had a son. I went down the hall and found him on a little cart in a bassinet. A nurse got me a rocking chair. I got to spend 40 minutes with my son in the nursery. I will never forget those moments.
Then, at 2:50am EVA GRACE ODEGARD came into the world screaming, round-headed, covered in vernex, and drop-dead gorgeous. They brought her to the nursery to do some tests and I saw them weighing her (6 pounds and 4 ounces) and my heart grew again. This caught me off-guard to find that there was ample room and a whole other kind of love in my heart for Eva. Soon, I was holding both of them, rocking in the chair and grinning a new grin. It was 1 1/2 hours before Aimee woke up. She was waiting in our room and I got to bring Eva and Elijah in to see her (she of course had not met Eva yet). Both Eva and Elijah had a snack and seemed to be familiar with breasts and knew what to do with them. And there was much rejoicing.
Elijah has been a bit jaundiced, so he has been under the bright lights wearing sunglasses. I went over to look at him earlier today and he had both of his hands under his head as he sprawled out on his back, soaking in the rays. He was showing off his interesting belly button I think. Eva has a bit of an infection in her cord, so she has an iv. I don’t like to see her this way. But it is healing up. They are both very alert. Especially Eva – she loves looking.
It continues to be at times peace-full, wonder-full, frustrating, exhausting, rewarding.
Miscellaneous Notes: - Name Meanings: o Elijah = ‘The Lord is God’ or ‘God is God’ o Mats = Swedish for ‘Gift of God’ of ‘God’s gracious gift’ o Eva = ‘life’ o Grace = ‘undeserved gift’ o Odegard = ‘desolate farm’ - Elijah looks like me. If you don’t know what I look like, think of a combination John Candy, Axel Rose, Jack Black & Don Knots. He’s a looker. - both Eva & Elijah respond to our voices. Eva really likes singing. - The care we are receiving is incredible. The nurses are beyond what we imagined. Aimee’s favourite is Mary who has been on unit 4 for 37 years. - Caring for twins is a big job. The reality is settling in on how demanding this is. - I am typing this left-handed as I hold Eva (who is arrestingly beautiful). - Aimee is doing well. She is quite tired of course. She is moving around a little, sleeping lots and feeding lots. I think this is her biggest desire right now – that the twins learn to feed well. I’m not worried. They are their father’s children and I love feeding - especially on doritos and americanos and carrots and DQ blizzards. Aimee is recovering from her C-section. She is beginning to be more mobile and yesterday she walked down the hall. She has low iron levels, so they are trying to get those up. She is healing very well and her pain is quite low (except when I make her laugh). - Aimee is quite happy with the 5 flower arrangements in the room. She is just happy period. Besides recovering from delivering twins, having major surgery, and learning to breastfeed, she is mostly happy. She keeps saying, “one would have been enough, but we’ve been blessed with 2!”. Blessed indeed. - I do lots of visiting. Mostly in the hallway while Aimee sleeps. - It has been very special to watch my parents with the twins. To see their unrestrained delight in Eva & Elijah makes me proud and grateful. There is something that I can’t describe about how all of our relationships have just changed. My mom wants to be called ‘Granny’ or ‘Grammy’ and my dad ‘Gramps’. I am trying to convince him of something else. Sounds too much like ‘cramps’. Can’t wait for the twins to meet Lando and Kathy soon.
Well, that’s all for now. Thanks for your prayers. Time to head back to the hospital. Lance
 ELIJAH MATS ODEGARD
 EVA GRACE ODEGARD
 Aimee and Elijah
 Lance chillin' with the wigglers
 Aimee and Eva
 Peaceful Mommy
 Proud Pops
 Where's the milk? |
|
| 40 Comments: |
-
Hurray for your terrific post Lance. I am the first to find it?! I enjoyed so much reading your heart felt reflections and knowing those feelings myself - it is incredible. Praise the Lord.
Thank you for the new pictures - BEAUTIFUL.
Love, Mom and Grandma
-
What a beautiful family! Congratulations on a handsome son and a gorgeous daughter. Way to go Aimee! May your recovery be fast, trouble free and complete! God bless you as you adjust to life as a family of four!!!
-
Well, I did my now infamous laugh/cry combo deal the entire way through this. There's a vinyl cafe story where Stuart McLean tells of how Morley called Dave to tell him that she was pregnant with their first child. Dave is overwhelmed with joy and fear and wonder and his first thought is "something bigger than me must have done this!" and blurts out to Morley, "I didn't do it!" - of course the entire audience laughs, but there's some truth to that isn't it. This blessing, this miracle is so much bigger than us, and I am so excited to be with you (albeit from afar, and part of my tears was a very raw realization of that) in friendship and prayer through it.
I love ALL of you! M
-
Wow!!! We're just sitting here in awe - memories flooding our own mind - laughing and crying and wondering how two works. You really are blessed. We rejoice with you Lance, Aimee, Elijah and Eva! Insta-family!
We agree with Grandma, "Praise the Lord!"
-
Congratulations We are so happy for you and glad that everything went so well.
-
Great post Lance, I felt like we just had a chat!
Welcome to the world Elijah and Eva!! (and *phew* it will be easy for me to tell the twins apart LOL!)
I look forward to watching your family. Lucky babies to have such great parents.
-
-
We are so excited for you both! What a blessing! We sure wish we could come and see you. We are praying for you guys.
Mark and Rachel
-
Wow! I'm smiling and crying and rejoicing with you even though you don't really know me. We used to go to Central Heights Church (moved away 4 1/2 years ago) and I know Kathy and Lando and Cara and Andy, we used to be in Cara and Andy's care group. Anyway, I followed a link to your blog a while ago and I've been checking it out every once in a while. I am glad to hear things are going well and will pray for as you learn and grow with your new children.
Congratulations, Rhiannon
-
thank-you lance for the beautiful glimpse into your thoughts and experience at the birth of your son and daughter. congratulations. they are so beautiful -- holding those two little bundles becomes the both of you. God's blessings as you recover from these two very distinct births, and as you grow together in these new experiences and expressions of love. lance i thought you described the meshing of the divine and human at birth so beautifully. this was our experience as well. i can't wait for your next album -- i bet you're going to have all kinds of new insights to pour into it for the enjoyment of all. -de
-
Congratulations doesn't even really describe how excited I am for you (all). I wish you all the best going forward, what wonderful names for wonderful children. sending loads of love, Meredith
-
How wonderful! Enjoy this time in your life because the love you have for your children will continue to amaze you each and every day.
-
HOORAY! HOORAY! HOORAY!!!! Praise the Lord...what BLESSINGS.
Thank you for taking the time, Lance, to share this exciting news with us. Your babies are BOTH beautiful. Wow, Eva sure looks like Aimee. Beautiful.
We are SO excited for you...2 times the blessings!
Love & Prayers,
Kristal, Shaun, & Natalie =)
-
that's great!
Odegard = ‘desolate farm’
glad to hear that you are all doing well. cute children!
congrats from niklaus & lindsey, Cecilia & Weely
Forstbauer = 'tree farmer'
-
Congratulations!I am so happy for you guys. I heard your good news through the great grandparents but it was wonderful to see your pictures & read your thoughts. The babies are beautiful and as I read your profound and sometimes humorous account I wiped tears & smiled simultaneously. We will be praying for the 4 of you as you adjust to the wonder of it all! Love. Wendy
-
yay! hurrah! congrats! i'm so happy for you! the babes are beautiful!
also, i really loved reading this post - i could totally hear lance's voice in it.
-
How very exciting! Congrats to both of you and blessings on this new leg of the journey!
Kristen
-
Blessings and excited congratulations. Lance, you are an excellent story teller. Thank you for sharing this incredible experience with us.
-
Wow. That's all I could say all the way through reading this post. Incredible. And both such amazing weights. Wow. Congratulations to you all.
Karen
-
I read this whole thing with a soppy little grin on my face - SO happy for you guys. Your babies are so beautiful. And thankyou Aimee for giving lance the password so he could enlighten all of us!
Still praying for your speedy recovery Aimee, Katelyn
-
congratulations!!! on your beautiful twins!!!!!!!!
-
CONGRATS! they're beautiful. I am speachless! I pray Aimee has an amazing recovery. Can't wait to see them!
-
What more can I say?? I think these comments have said it all - congratulations you guys! The babies are both so beautiful ... and I love their names.
Heather
-
-
Lance & Aimee,
Congratulations!!! How exciting. Elijah and Eva are adorable. God bless the 4 of you!
Owen & Bonnie Boehr
-
-
Congratulations you guys...they are both so beautiful & i'm happy for you two.
God bless,
~Kerianne.
-
Holy Dina!!! I am so giggly kinda excited! You guys look so comfortable as parents already in the pictures... I guess that stuff comes naturally though. Well I am so proud of you both and can't wait to see the babes. Like I said before, If you guys need anything, call or write or email or just scream really loudly. Doing the happy dance for ya as we speak.
-
Wow! Congratulations! The Wigglers are beautiful! Aimee - you are a stud! I am a natural birther too, so I am especially proud of you!
-
One question: Is Eva pronounced EE-va, or eh-va (as in Meh-va)?
Either way I love the name:)
Katelyn
-
my dad's parents were granny and gramps, and now my dad is gramps as well. i like the name. it'll grow on you. kinda sounds like grumpy cramps though. i doubt your dad is in danger of exemplifying such a title. :) -de
-
Lance and Aim, It has been said time and time again through these comments but 'thankyou Lord'.
Soli Deo Gloria - to God alone be the Glory.....
well done to both of you for making it through labour, delivery and c-section.
our love and prayers cherylene and james
-
congratulations to both of you! they are darling. awww:)!!! I love the pops post! it was great! God Bless! cherie
-
it's been awhile since I've been on the computer... so I'm probably one of the last to find out about the awesome news!!! Congrats Lance and Aimee... Elijah and Eva! Well um I still need to get your home address so I can drop something off for you... please give me your address to nacho200@hotmail.com... Congrats again! God is Awesome!!!!
-
after reading through this post for the third time and letting out a long sigh, i realized that i haven't even said congratulations yet!!! so congrats! and thank you lance for the tears and laughter as you shared from you heart. well done, aimee!
love, -heidi
-
Wow~ will you even reach "comment #44"? What a beautiful description of your experience Lance. I look forward to the possibility of it coming out in song some day. You're absolutely right about the beauty of your wife and children. I sobbed through the reading of your post. (Being 7 months pregnant, having gone through birthing twice already, for as long as I can remember having wanted to deliver twins... I was IN THE MOMENT with you guys!) This is good to rejoice with brothers and sisters in their joy! *PTL for blogs!* Tanya
-
Hello my little sweethearts. I've been looking at your cute little faces every day - many times a day. I'm coming to see you tomorrow! I'm bringing hugs and kisses and lots of love.
Grandma Kathy
-
Beautiful! You are amazing.
-
Good Job Aimee. They're beautiful babies, and will grow up to be able to help you when you are in your worst state. When they get their senses of humour, they will make you laugh and think back on the time you got 47 comments because you got them.
-
Oh my goodness. They are so adorable. I love the post. I wish I had something with such detail from my delivery. :) They grow too quickly, enjoy every minute. Aimee--congrats on breastfeeding! That is amazingly wonderful. Love your blog, found you from Darla's.
|
| |
|
|
|
|
|
|
Hurray for your terrific post Lance. I am the first to find it?! I enjoyed so much reading your heart felt reflections and knowing those feelings myself - it is incredible. Praise the Lord.
Thank you for the new pictures - BEAUTIFUL.
Love,
Mom and Grandma