mercredi, janvier 04, 2006
Welcome and Correction
I'd like to welcome new readers to Hummingbird. My announcement of our twins caused many a secret reader to burst forth from hiding. I don't even know some of you. Welcome just the same. A special welcome to one of my Camp Luther campers from days gone by - Lisa-Marie!

If you've read the recent comments on the last post you would've read that the Rostads (coworkers at CLBI) are expecting as well. This is true. The part about them expecting twins isn't correct - I think just miscommunication. They are ten weeks and haven't yet had an ultrasound (ultrasounds usually happen around 18wks I think). An ultrasound or hearing two heartbeats would indicate twins - I was taking with Kim today to clarify, and they have had neither. So as far as they know there is just one little one growing in her womb.

Things are going well with us. I'm 16 weeks now and showing nicely, in my opinion. Eating has been going relatively well thanks in part to our spotlessly clean kitchen. Okay that's an exagerration. Spotless would imply that the spills and dirt all over our floor aren't there and that I've washed the walls or something. What I mean is that Lance did a number on our gigantic pile of dishes (some atleast a month old) - I think "spread" would be a more accurate term than "pile". Anyways I pitched in a bit too and our kitchen is clean - and has been since Sunday night. That's right folks, I've been washing dishes daily and have kept on top of things for three days! I love our kitchen and love it being clean. That being said I must also say that we haven't eaten supper here since it's been clean, so the amount of dishes have been significantly less. But today I'm making supper and plan to have the kitchen clean again before bed. Oh I hope this becomes a habit - how many days to make a habit - 7, 10, 21? Anyone know. I've never gotten far enough to know. :)

The students come back today and we go on a on night retreat leaving tomorrow morning - ah, another day the kitchen will stay clean!

I dreamt last night we had our babies - two girls. The thing is the dream entirely skipped labor. Filling in the blanks of the dream it seems that I had to go somewhere important so must've dropped off my womb at the hospital and came back later to find our two girls. Not how I'd planned it but was glad to have them. Tried breastfeeding and it went okay - except it was difficult without the twins nursing pillow my sister told me about yesterday. Then the dream went wonky. One of the girls turned into a black and white border collie puppy - which I breastfed too, in hopes that she would turn back into a little girl. I think it was working too, but then I woke up. Also a part of the dream was a Christmas gift from the Schulz's. A huge box of pajamas - like 20 pairs of plastic wrapped tops and bottoms. The box was delivered by a semi truck pulling a flat bed trailer. There was nothing on the trailer except my box. (I did receive a Christmas gift from the Schulzes, but it was a cordless phone and came on the greyhound bus, not a flat bed). I was kind of hoping for pajamas from Lance this year, didn't get them, but was showered with other great gifts -- thanks Steve and Carolyn for really pulling through for me in my dream, you guys went all out!

Okay, off to make supper. Curried chicken on rice I think. Plan to have leftovers to freeze for quick access snacks and lunches.

Hope you are well.

Aimee
posted by Aimee at 4:52 p.m. -
12 Comments:
  • At 8:50 p.m., Anonymous Anonyme said…

    sorry about the misunderstanding.... I just said what the Rostads' friend told me...oh wait!! it was a misunderstanding!... her and I were talking about both the Rostads and Odegardes at the same time, and when she said "having twins" she must've been talking about Aimee, when I stupidly thought we were still talking about the Rostads.... sorry about that Aimee... I will call them and apologize... sometimes my hearing impairment sucks!!!

     
  • At 9:06 p.m., Blogger Melanie said…

    This post made me laugh my very LOUD laugh - breastfeeding a border collie. I'd hate to hear what a dream analyst would have to say about that!! I know what oyu mean about the kitchen. I cleaned (read: tidied) ours today and it made me smile. I love and miss you tonnes!

    ~M

     
  • At 11:00 p.m., Blogger Kathy said…

    Wait til you have them you will really be obsessed and all sorts of funny things could happen - even with diapers. Doesn't every bum need one?

    Love,
    Mom

     
  • At 5:52 a.m., Blogger Lisa-Marie said…

    Hey Aimee... (this was the only way I knew how to communicate to you)... I have started my own blog ( through inspiration through you of course) so I was wondering if you could post a link to my blog... that way I can have a few people to help me with questions and stuff.... ttyl Lisa-Marie

     
  • At 5:53 a.m., Blogger Lisa-Marie said…

    I think you needed my blog address lol... here it is...
    http://lmtcowabungasworld.blogspot.com

     
  • At 7:22 a.m., Anonymous Anonyme said…

    As horrid as this sounds... your 21 day dish spread made me SOOOO happy. I shouldnt take pleasure in your mess because I know how frustrating it is. But oh, how I needed to hear I wasn't alone. (well not in the 21 day idea since we WOULD get roaches but I did have to dig through 15 loads of clean laundry to find a pair of socks...) I am a horrid housekeeper. My mom says it is like me having a 1100 sft bedroom :O) I never did have a tidy room growing up.


    In your dream you mentioned skipping labor. I know in the united states that with twins 99% of the time it means you get a scheduled c-section. Generally only midwives and a TINY handful of doctors will allow for a regular birth. If one twin is breech then it gets even lower for having a regular birth. I know Canada is so much different though since here it is mainly liability insurance that dictates a mothers care and not really her health/wishes. They dont even attempt breech births of one baby anymore and in many states (sadly, mine included) most doctors choose not to carry insurance that will allow a VBAC. Anyway, enough of my soap box but I was curious if the doctor had talked to you about how that all will work out.

    HA on the collie. I keep dreaming that my baby is a boy and when he comes out all I can say is "ohhh we have SOOOO much pink for you!"

    ~Shannon

     
  • At 7:59 a.m., Blogger Kate said…

    Aimee,

    Cleaning up when I cook is a habit I've developed ever since I was 9 or so because if I didn't wash the dishes Dad would MAKE me. He's been pretty lax with the other kids though - when they cook I usually end up washing their dishes. That said, we've gotten into the habit (or habit for me, Dan frequently has to be reminded) of cleaning up after supper. I don't know how we managed it. Anyway, my only suggestion is to wash dishes (or take turns) after every time you make something, or if you have a certain number of dishes or something. As for me, I'm working on developing the habit of putting away my laundry when it comes out of the drier so that dirty clothes don't end up everywhere EXCEPT the laundry basket, because that's where my clean clothes are. So stuggle on! There will always be one more habit to develop.

     
  • At 9:32 a.m., Blogger heidi said…

    wow, your blog sure has become Comment Central! hmmmm, so if i want more people to comment on my blog, all i have to do is get pregnant with twins?...interesting. (JUST KIDDING!)
    with dishes, whenever i'm in the process of making a meal, i have a sink full of hot, sudsy water ready, and just throw dirty spoons, mixing bowls, pots etc in there. then, once dinner is finished, they have all soaked nicely and i just need to drain the water & refill. so much easier than scraping dried food off.

     
  • At 1:36 p.m., Anonymous Anonyme said…

    I too laughed out loud about the semi-truck filled with p.j.s. Are there special books for people expecting twins - or websites? It is fascinating. I've never known anyone well that was having twins. And if you have a c-section it will be OK. Katelyn was a c-section and then I was able to have natural births after that. Katelyn was what they called "prime breech over 8 lbs" so they wouldn't risk it. At the time I felt very let down because in books & prenatal they kind of infer that c-sections are second best and I was very pumped up to have a "no drugs, all natural birth". But in reality the focus should be on the baby, not how the baby comes out! It is weird that I've never met you but I feel like a proud, excited young aunt or older sister.

     
  • At 2:05 p.m., Anonymous Anonyme said…

    So I've never had twins, or any baby, and I was curious - do you know if the twins are identical or the other kind? Can you tell that sort of stuff beforehand?

    Kortney

     
  • At 3:15 p.m., Blogger Shannon said…

    in response to Marsha, I would totally agree. c-sections have their time and place and they arent the end of the world. You are lucky to have found doctors that would work with you to have regular births afterwards though. (out here is is nearly legally impossible unfortunatly) But then I know plenty of moms who tell me that a scheduled c-section is perfect. Different strokes I guess!

    And yes, Heidi... get pregnant with twins! I get really excited when I see comments on my blog. (pretty sad huh?) Maybe I should get pregnant with twins too. :O)

     
  • At 10:54 p.m., Blogger Lisa-Marie said…

    Response to Kortney... yes you can find out beforehand whether the babies are identical or fraternal. Identical twins share the same placenta in the womb, whereas fraternal twins each have their own placenta (thus two placentas in the womb). Through Aimee's untrasound, her doctor should have been able to determine whether he/she saw one or two placenta(s)... So Aimee, which is it?? Are you expecting identical or fraternal?? Or would you rather keep that a secret? ;) ;)

    Lisa-Marie 2

     
Publier un commentaire
here i am
Name: Aimee
Home: Canada
About Me:
more...

previously on hummingbird
Archives
place to go people to see
living on less & liking it more
  • Frugal Hacks
  • Like Merchant Ships
  • Smart Canucks
  • Deweys Treehouse



  •